Saturday, November 20, 2010

I had an amazing childhood. I've been thinking about it a lot lately...its a hard reality knowing I can never have it back...but I am very thankful for all the memories I still hold on to. I decided I'd make a list of some of them.....before I get too old and more of them fade away.....
  • climbing trees
  • our ten acre field
  • bucking hay
  • hay forts
  • catching tadpoles
  • making mud pies
  • bare feet
  • hearing moms whistle from a mile away
  • going shooting
  • riding horses
  • floating the river
  • rope swings
  • becoming a big sister 3 times
  • dads childhood and mission stories, which I made him tell over and over again
  • the thicket
  • 18 hour drives to Arizona, laying on a piece of plywood in the truck camper, coloring, sleeping, fighting with Michael and eating doughnut holes all the way there
  • riding bikes for hours
  • all of us standing around the island in the kitchen eating artichokes dipped in butter
  • swimming in the canal
  • being able to eat and eat and eat moms homemade waffles and maple syrup
  • our huge beautiful garden
  • big juicy tomatoes
  • fruit trees
  • long talks with dad about anything and everything
  • playing in the shed
  • finding an arrow head
  • creamer and sammy, and all creamer's puppies
  • mom rocking me in the rocking chair with the still to this day comforting patpat......patpat......patpat....on my back
  • our swing set
  • doing cart wheels and hula hooping around and around the yard
  • watching the sunset
  • fresh cut hay fields
  • moms chocolate chip cookies, fresh from the oven
  • looking at the stars with my own personal astronomer :)
  • sidewalk chalk
  • throwing a ball back and forth over the house
  • playing catch with grandpa, getting smacked in the chin with the ball, and getting scolded for not putting my mitt in front of my face :)I think all of us got that experience....
  • making boats out of bucket lids to float in puddles with grandma
  • drinking from the hose
  • the swamp cooler
  • riding the motorcycle
  • going out to eat....always chinese :)
  • family reunions
  • driving the cars in the field with and without mom and dads permission
  • spending the night at grandma and grandpas
  • grandpas jokes
  • my scooter
  • pulling down all the christmas boxes to look at all our decorations in the middle of June
  • all our kitties and bunnies
  • the little red wagon
  • mom and dad reading us stories and tucking us into bed
  • running up the long rocky driveway to check the mail with no shoes on
  • birthday parties
  • my first concert.....new kids on the block!! a total surprise all the way up until my mom and I were dropping my aunts off at the concert...I was trying hard to hold back tears....and I got to get out and go with them!!!!
  • moms amazing cakes
  • our tank made from a refrigerator box
  • hide and seek
  • running errands with mom
  • playing in the snow
  • the magic of Christmas
  • waking up to the birds singing in the summertime
  • open windows with fresh country air blowing through the house
  • rainbows
  • the beautiful view of the mountains, right out our front window
  • the fresh smell of mint
  • the not so fresh smell of skunk
  • playing in the ditch
  • otterpops
  • our pool(only a foot and a half deep but SO much fun!)
  • "shaving" with dad...he would put cream all over my face too and I'd shave it off with the shaving cream cap
  • playing house
  • my amazing Halloween costumes...usually handmade by mom
  • waking up at 6 am on Saturday....just to watch saturday morning cartoons....
I have to find a stopping point for now at least...more and more keep coming to mind...it makes me really wish I could go back in time...but it also makes me realize if I can someday give my kids even half of the great memories and experiences I had I think I'll be doing just fine....

2 comments:

  1. that's so tender! i love it! made me smile. love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh seester! I LOVED THIS! So many of your memories are my memories of my childhood too!!!! I may have to come up with a list of my childhood too! :) That made me want to be a kid again. But like you said... hopefully we can give our kids even just HALF of those memories! LOVED this! Thanks for the idea and sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete